Minister: Rev. Richard J. Grocott BSc
Church Address: Albion Way, Lewisham, SE13 6BT
Church Profile: 18th Century Lewisham was effectively a country village where prosperous Londoners owned houses to escape from the growing city. One of these houses was a frequent place of retreat for John Wesley, especially between 1746 and 1782. By the mid-nineteenth century the population was beginning to grow and new houses were built. With this increase in population, those who counted themselves as Methodists looked for a site for a Church, and Lewisham Wesleyan Methodist Church, complete with a spire, was built in 1870 in what is now Albion Road. In 1944 the Church suffered considerable damage by a flying bomb during the Second World War, and was deemed not to be repairable. A new building was opened in 1953, and in due course was replaced by the current church and hall buildings, thus being the third Methodist Church on the site.
The Church is blessed with a good-sized congregation and most seats are occupied for Sunday morning worship. In the past few years the installation of a new audio-visual system allows for powerpoint to be used for morning worship, with services transmitted into one of the halls if attendance is especially high.
In addition to excellent organ music, some of the children and young adults play the steel pans on occasions in worship, especially for open-air services and at Christmas. A Tuesday fellowship meets for the ladies of the Church, as well as an evening Bible Study. There is an active Junior Church, who lead worship from time-to-time.
Lewisham is a welcoming congregation with members originating from many nationalities, and we enjoy being together.
Sunday 10.30am – Morning Service